What’s revolutionary in women’s healthcare?
Would you rather:
A. Be tuned into your own body, free from artificial chemicals and drugs, their side effects and risks, respectful of the environment, and physically and emotionally closer to the man in your life?
B. Use drugs to suppress the healthy, natural processes of your body, experience side effects from those drugs, always worry whether it’s really working, increase your risk of breast cancer and deadly blood clots, wonder how long it may take for your natural fertility to return when you are ready to start a family, and struggle to experience intimacy with the man in your life?
Most women prefer the first option. But many women don’t know that they have that alternative. Today, birth control methods are available that are natural, simple, basically free, and even more reliable than the Pill. It starts with charting.
Charting helps you become an expert on your own body. When charted accurately, your natural cycles tell a story about your hormonal balance. With this knowledge, not only can you plan your pregnancies effectively, but informed doctors can more effectively diagnose and treat common women’s health disorders like PMS, infertility, cysts, recurrent miscarriages, or post-partum depression.
What are FABM?
FABM (Fertility Awareness Based Methods) is an umbrella term for many methods of charting your cycles. These methods have different protocols and use different biomarkers but ultimately all tell you what’s going on with the hormones that drive your menstrual cycle and, most prominently, when you are fertile and when you are infertile. At the heart of it, Fertility Awareness is knowledge. That knowledge opens a whole world for understanding your individual hormonal processes, diagnosing and treating disorders, and planning your family.
- Side effect free, effective, non-hormonal birth control. How effective? When taught by a professional, FABMs are just as, if not more effective than our old friend the Pill.
- You get to keep your homemade from scratch hormones! Which means you get that monthly boost of estrogen.
- Ovulating is the only way to make progesterone. Progesterone is critical for bone development, heart health, and mood stabilization. When on hormonal contraception, you don’t ovulate and therefore don’t create progesterone. (But more on that later.)
- Gives women a blueprint to their hormones. New protocols for treating disorders like PCOS, endometriosis, infertility, and amenorrhea can utilize a fertility chart in a way that is inexpensive for the patient (unlike blood testing) and puts the knowledge back in the patient’s hands.
How is FABM Different Than Hormonal Contraception?
- Hormonal contraception can come with a whole host of side effects.
- Fertility Awareness Based Methods don’t alter your hormonal levels. People using FABMs simply observe the already present hormones in their bodies and use their naturally fertile and infertile periods to plan their family. (Did you know that it’s physically impossible to get pregnant two-thirds of your cycle?)
- With FABMs, both partners are involved in the family planning process.
- Fertility charting works for avoiding pregnancy AND achieving pregnancy. There is no “wait time” for couples who decide to start or grow their family. With FABMs, you have the freedom to make the decision month to month.